'94 Edinburgh Queen's Hall

Anything about live shows related to the band
Tominparis

'94 Edinburgh Queen's Hall

Postby Tominparis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:12 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum/site but a long time Suede devotee. The new album release has had me in nostalgia-mode,
as my first ever gig (at the tender of age of 15) up the road from my parents' in Edinburgh happened to be their last with Bernard - just wondering if anyone else here also went
and/or has any recollections? For losing my gig virginity it took some beating - the support band was made up of employees of the local Avalanche records store,
the sound was rough to say the least, and the tension among both the band and crowd was tangible. There were a fair few hecklers, one of whom shouted "you're not the fucking Smiths" between every other song. Still the strangest gig atmosphere I've ever experienced.
Jayyj

Re: '94 Edinburgh Queen's Hall

Postby Jayyj » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:28 pm

That must have been a great first gig! From the bootleg it sounds like a pretty shambolic show but I'd still have loved to see it. My biggest regret in 22 years of gig going was allowing my parents to talk me out of the Blackpool show on that tour on account of it being impractical to get home from without a 70 mile round trip for one of them to collect me and they were bound to play locally soon enough. They did, six months later, but I missed my only chance to see the original lineup.

On the plus side, the DMS tour was magnificent whatever the lineup and I got to see Suede for my first ever gig at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in the early stages of that tour.
Tominparis

Re: '94 Edinburgh Queen's Hall

Postby Tominparis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:43 pm

The Blackpool show you mention was the gig before the Edinburgh one I think. Looking back
this was the period just prior to (relatively) indie bands gatecrashing the mainstream so even with a number 1 album and all the press it was still a pretty "left field" crowd there that evening. The sound was shoddy, and they fluffed the intro on at least one song. Also distinctly remember Bernard remaining on stage last and doing an army-style salute to the crowd.

Return to “Live”