Music for Misfits

Jayyj

Music for Misfits

Postby Jayyj » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:48 pm

New BBC4 series on indie music: so far they're up to Store Roses and Happy Mondays with our Bernard popping up a few times, and looks like Suede will be included next week. Narrated by Mark Radcliffe who I've always had a big soft spot for.

Anyone else watching it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... native-80s
round the bend

Re: Music for Misfits

Postby round the bend » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:05 pm

Only seen the first one so far but really enjoyed it. Very welcome series.
he puts his faith in the moment.. outsiders
Jayyj

Postby Jayyj » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:29 am

The third one gave Suede a decent amount of airtime - in fact, Suede, Manics and St Ettienne came out of it with more coverage than the usual Britpop suspects which was refreshing. It was a bit patchy and there were glaring omissions (no Crass records, no MBV or shoegaze, not enough made of the indie/major label relationships, no attempt to tackle gender politics or ethnic diversity) but generally a good effort from the BBC.

Bernard showing off another new guitar there as well...
AspieGirl4Brett

Postby AspieGirl4Brett » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:24 am

WOOHOO! Have seen the first two. Recorded the third one but not watched yet, Sounds promising (SUEDE). Some great memories in the first two: Joy Division, The Fall, Cocteau Twins. I also heard Felt's "My Face is on Fire" in the background (although the song / band weren't acknowledged). I have to say to this, go check out Felt's synchronous LP - (from which this song is taken, if I remember) - "Forever Breathes the Lonely Word". Fin.

Return to “General Discussion”