David Bowie

Anything about other bands/music/artists
round the bend

David Bowie

Postby round the bend » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:39 am

So the Bowie camp has confirmed rumours that a new album is out early next year. 8th January to be precise, his b-day again. Is this some sinister conspiracy, that Suede and Bowie are releasing albums round about the same time? ;)
Would like to see him push boundaries a bit this time..
he puts his faith in the moment.. outsiders
Jayyj

Re: David Bowie

Postby Jayyj » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:59 am

The teaser sounds great - I'm a big fan of the #1 Outside album and it rather sounds as though this might have similarities, the spirit of the Berlin albums with elements of electronics and free jazz (although hopefully less monalogues with Dave putting on silly voices). The Next Day I loved at first but the more I've heard it the more I've come to see it as half a dozen or so great Bowie tracks and a lot of rather more average stuff, and way over long. Still an impressive record compared with pretty much any of his contemporaries and might even scrape my top ten Bowie albums but I don't know if it's the masterpiece I thought when it came out. Still, I loved the one off single that came out since and if this is going to be along those lines and more focused than TND - this could be something really special.

Hopefully it won't have too much effect on Night Thoughts - the dates are a coincidence but the surprise factor won't be there with the Bowie release so I wouldn't excpect there to be quite the same hysteria attached to it.
round the bend

Postby round the bend » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:58 pm

Yeah, The Next Day probably got a bit more praise and attention than it should've thanks to the long hiatus and surprise reveal (which was handled brilliantly though). Valentine's Day, Where Are We Now and a couple of others were quite good and most others pretty average - so much I'd say the album in general didn't top Reality, though still better than his nineties misses. Sort of goes to show he doesn't have too much in the tank to make full bona fide pop albums, so maybe it would be good to go experimental again. Like 'Sue' very much was.
AspieGirl4Brett

Postby AspieGirl4Brett » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:41 pm

I sort of wish I could turn the clock back. I was a big Bowie fan from around 1973 onwards, but drifted away when punk happened. Then, in therapeutic community in 1983, we used to put on "Hunky Dory" in the green room and sing along. Good days. Shortly afterwards I married a (pre-op at that time, obvs) M/F transsexual who was a HUGE Bowie fan. Like, everything ever committed to record, demos, bootlegs, rarities, imports. You name it. I came to think that Bowie was GOD. Then... he gradually retreated from public life, remarried, released a number of "meh" albums... Again, I drifted away. For me, the final nail in the coffin was the fact that he moved to Switzerland. Yep, the "T" word. Sorry, but the fact that anyone who could write such affecting, heartbreaking, perceptive songs could have feet not just of clay, but of avarice and greed (if that's not a tautology) - killed the legend stone dead for me.
round the bend

Postby round the bend » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:16 pm

So anyone got the Five Years box in any form? Thought it was terrific, though a bit pricey.
Jayyj

Postby Jayyj » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:00 am

I didn't get that one, bit too expensive and although I'm fond of those albums it's not my favourite Bowie period. When they get round to Station, Low and Heroes I'll be all over it though!
Everydayslikesunday

Postby Everydayslikesunday » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:15 pm

I have a mate who saw Bowie just before he released his first album in Weston-Super-Mare (on the pier -I think). He tells me the admission price was £1.00 and he almost didn't bother turning up. He is obviously glad he did as he is now a huge Bowie fan.
Like skeletons ever so pretty
Joe Col

Postby Joe Col » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:14 pm

Been listening to the new album. Pretty good. Not sure of all the high praise I'm hearing about, but it is an interesting release. Two tracks have been around for over a year, though, in one form or another. Thus, 5 new tracks ...
round the bend

Postby round the bend » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:51 pm

Heard some great things about that, release is just this Friday.

Going back the Five Years box, thought the accompanying book was fantastic, but there was one thing that bothered me there - when it got to the albums with Ken Scott - his liner notes were boring as f*ck! While Visconti gave many interesting facts about whys and hows, Scott basically just counts the mics and studio equipment for each song if he doesn't remember, he's bugger all to say. You did some of the greatest albums with Bowie and all you got to say is 'I didn't use this mic, because I used that mic' :roll:
TimeyWimey

Postby TimeyWimey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:39 am

Just heard...I can hardly believe it.....RIP David Jones

Return to “Other Bands”