Joe Col

Re: 2017 in music

Postby Joe Col » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Liking the new Temples disc.
New Depeche Mode is quite good, too.
Jayyj

Postby Jayyj » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:35 am

I'm struggling a bit with the new Temples album - it sounds great on first listen but it suffers from the same problem that I have with the last Tame Impala record in that every track is the same tempo and has the same dense production with heavily processed vocals so by four songs in the tracks start to blend into each other and it's hard to keep interested. I think there's some strong material in there but I'm not loving it as a whole.

The Nadine Khouri album is really nice: produced by John Parish, kind of reminds me of the softer Mazzy Star stuff. There's a couple of clunky tracks but overall it's pretty good.
shecanwalkoutanytime

Postby shecanwalkoutanytime » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:09 pm

And I am struggling when RA is coming to town exactly the same date when U2 are playing the bloody joshua tree in Dublin that is the only place I could maybe want to see them that is the crowd and the massive celebration which embraces the whole Dublin
this is too much to choose from. Maybe Suede could help and bring Sci-Fi Lullabies at the same date to Stockholm?
shecanwalkoutanytime

Postby shecanwalkoutanytime » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:31 am

Later, what a process. If going to Dublin for U2 what does it mean? Going back to the past? Have been in Dublin celebrating them with a good friend it was really great and more, saw JT tour in 1987

you cannot go back and definitely not if you kinda loved something it is risky to get the feet to the same area
never back to the same place! that is a good principle and very hard to remember when there is all the marketing and old songs and the severe temptation inside your system

so definitely shall see RA with his jamesdeanish jacket and a guitar in my hometown, surely that is meant to be once in a lifetime
U2 can have their millions down there and I am not a crowd person anyway. And I have a Skeleton Tree to go. Plus Tatra mountains etc. next summer. And I will listen to dublin or other joshua trees somewhere in the internet and probably it shakes my bones and makes me regret.
Jayyj

Postby Jayyj » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:42 am

The new Julia Holder live record is really lovely,
Joe Col

Postby Joe Col » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:48 pm

looking forward to the new Mark Lanegan & Afghan Whigs discs.
Mark has worked with Rob Marshall (ex-Exit Calm) on his new album. What' I've heard has been stunning.
round the bend

Postby round the bend » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:26 pm

My, haven't been here a while again...

Totally agree with Jay on the Temples album. Thought the new one is a massive disappointment. Just forcing the big sounds and synths and no depth. All that after cooking it for three years?

Well, what did catch my year, in March were:
Real Estate - the new album I think is their best, about three really beautiful jangly gems in there.
R Stevie Moore with Jason Falkner - a laugh and good music in one. Many are trying to be really clever and are over-doing the ironic humor thing in music. They should leave it to real outsiders like R Stevie Moore. First track I H8 PPL is the perfect hangover-at-work song.
Jesus & Mary Chain - god I love them and I admit, the album is rather average, but the more I listen the more I like it. Every time. The songs start rubbing you the right way, guess its just their effortless fuck off cool. All Things Pass is a stormer!

...and in April, well, highlights for me were released just last Friday:
Robyn Hitchcock - self-titled this time, but really stands above his solo work of the past two decades. Especially strong toward the end I think, best is the last song. Sumptuous power pop.
Ray Davies - As a big Kinks appreciator I was apprehensive what with the Davies brothers not really shining at their solo stuff. But the new album really stands up to its title and is very pleasant americana - you may hear just a few hints back to Kinks, but otherwise a purely mature americana album with Jayhawks helping out. Brother Dave released his a few weeks before as well. Decent but not much there.
he puts his faith in the moment.. outsiders
Mackenzie_Caron

Postby Mackenzie_Caron » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:53 pm

I think I missed this first time around but here are some releases I've enjoyed/ am looking forward to:
1. Always & Only The Lonely- Zac Pennington and Brian Lawlor <- This album is amazing and everyone should go listen to it now.
2. Room 29- Jarvis Cocker & Chilly Gonzales
3. Silver Eye- Goldfrapp (Not their strongest but some killer stuff on the B side)
4. Humanz- Gorillaz
5. Somebody Better- Black Honey <- This one's just a single but really solid nonetheless
Joe Col

Postby Joe Col » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:00 am

New Afghan Whigs & Mark Lanegan are both fucking amazing! Utterly fantastic albums.
New Mew is pretty fantastic, as well.
round the bend

Postby round the bend » Mon May 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Mackenzie_Caron wrote:4. Humanz- Gorillaz

Really disappointing that for me
he puts his faith in the moment.. outsiders

Return to “Other Bands”