2017 in music

Anything about other bands/music/artists
round the bend

2017 in music

Postby round the bend » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Let's keep it going, shall we?

Mostly a quiet start to the year, especially compared to 2016, but a few things have stood out:

Foxygen's Hang was quite surprising, wasn't expecting much from these. Good-time, effortless indie pop with a twist.
William Basinski's new album is an ode to Bowie. Lovely atmosphere, liked it even though am not very fond of ambient.
The Proper Ornament's Foxhole - third album if you count Waiting For The Summer. Not as good as the previous stuff, still an enjoyable, dreamy lo-fi listen.
he puts his faith in the moment.. outsiders
shecanwalkoutanytime

Re: 2017 in music

Postby shecanwalkoutanytime » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Well, not sure of a quiet start cos Mr. Ashcroft is coming to town and Mr. Cave is coming to the next town this year (you make my heart sing! I'll see you in the trees)
I am almost sadly interested in only some voices & sounds so cannot comment anything "current" really.
shecanwalkoutanytime

Postby shecanwalkoutanytime » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:15 pm

And the one, they do not bother to bring the Joshua Tree tour 17 to the desert sky, desert rose
ok
burnt by the fire of love, burnt by the fire of love
hands up, I surrender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwAi4genckk
Jayyj

Postby Jayyj » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:17 am

I went to see Temples the other week and their new stuff sounds great if a little similar to what Tame Impala are doing. They had a great old Yamaha organ that sounded like Blackpool pier. The album is out in March. The support band was Amber Arcades who I really liked as well.

I'm ashamed to say Mark Eitzel's new album is the only new release I've actually bought this year so far.
Joe Col

Postby Joe Col » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Jayyj wrote:
I'm ashamed to say Mark Eitzel's new album is the only new release I've actually bought this year so far.

that's a great disc. didn't know Butler produced it until I heard it & Mako's distinctive drumming. Mark never disappoints, though. 60 Watt Silver lining is still his best solo disc, in my opinion.

As for 2017 releases, Chalice Hymnal by Grails is quite good & been in heavy rotation. new Mew, Depeche Mode & Mark Lanegan are discs I'm really looking forward to.
Not something new, but Midnight Oil has been in heavy rotation, also. Looking forward to that reunion tour coming up.
round the bend

Postby round the bend » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Jayyj wrote:I went to see Temples the other week and their new stuff sounds great if a little similar to what Tame Impala are doing. They had a great old Yamaha organ that sounded like Blackpool pier. The album is out in March. The support band was Amber Arcades who I really liked as well.

Yeah, I know about that new Temples album coming in March as was waiting for them to do something after a very good debut. Then, having heard that lead single - yeah the slightly eastern keyboard was kinda OK but the melodies I loved them for were lost there. Still, interested in hearing what they'll come up with. Because the debut was so specific in its 60s psych sound in modern reverb, they just had to move away. And, seems are doing as you said, another Impala. And I didn't like Impala's move with Currents at all. Lacking songs while going all for a slicker style. Meh. And heard the new Pond track as well - obviously they're doing exactly the same. (Pond's 2nd and 4th albums are great fun though!)

And Amber Arcades' album was nice! Definitely one of the better ones from last year.
he puts his faith in the moment.. outsiders
Joe Col

Postby Joe Col » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Elbow: Little Fictions
Novella: Change of State
The Luyas: Human Voicing

Just got the ew Ryan Adams, not given it a full whirl yet, but what I've listened to thus far is stellar.
Jayyj

Postby Jayyj » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:08 am

round the bend wrote:
Jayyj wrote:I went to see Temples the other week and their new stuff sounds great if a little similar to what Tame Impala are doing. They had a great old Yamaha organ that sounded like Blackpool pier. The album is out in March. The support band was Amber Arcades who I really liked as well.

Yeah, I know about that new Temples album coming in March as was waiting for them to do something after a very good debut. Then, having heard that lead single - yeah the slightly eastern keyboard was kinda OK but the melodies I loved them for were lost there. Still, interested in hearing what they'll come up with. Because the debut was so specific in its 60s psych sound in modern reverb, they just had to move away. And, seems are doing as you said, another Impala. And I didn't like Impala's move with Currents at all. Lacking songs while going all for a slicker style. Meh. And heard the new Pond track as well - obviously they're doing exactly the same. (Pond's 2nd and 4th albums are great fun though!)

And Amber Arcades' album was nice! Definitely one of the better ones from last year.

I hadn't heard the single before they played it but it stuck out on the night as 'come on then, let's write something radio friendly' - it was definitely the least interesting thing they played of the new stuff.
shecanwalkoutanytime

Postby shecanwalkoutanytime » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Written and done, managed to get an excuse to get to London!!!
a Skeleton Tree standing ticket 02 in a pocket and those full of beauty autumn parks in my mind
now I only hope the bloody Joshua Tree 17 tour would lengthen a bit still
please do have a branch over here please please do stop the rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqbmzBnP4Mw

PS. Isnt it great with all your best time artists and bands - when the other goes, the other comes ;)
but seriously, I feel deeply grateful & glad they are all alive and kicking it is so very precious - hands up!!

PS 2. Have a plan now. Might get to Dublin
will find a ticket on the streets or not. In 2009 we bought the 2nd night tickets in front of the Clarence Hotel, classic. At this point it is not the band only I wanna see but I do want to see the crowd, the vibe, the songs, the city, the Dear Irish County. And maybe maybe its the clothes we wear we can get a ticket, one ticket is enough my love (in tears with these clips oh what a beautiful band and the crowd) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfIrVfKCM80
AspieGirl4Brett

Postby AspieGirl4Brett » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:25 pm

I like reading all the recommendations from you guys. Unfortunately I get to go to very few gigs, as I live in offshore Britain (Isle of Man) - meaning it's quite an effort and expense to travel "Across". So, I only travel to see Suede, and my partner to see his favourite band, Pere Ubu. We only tend to get good bands here during the TT; Paul Weller and the Charlatans being notable examples. At other times the Island's musical scene is dominated by (old) US Country Blues, as there are some very vociferous proponents of this here. I don't deny the talent of some of the old bluesmen, nor the hardship of their lives; but I personally find the music very anodyne. (My first years of learning to play guitar stagnated under the weight of this, until I found an old rocker of a tutor who was willing to embrace Suede)! At least I know that there are a lot of people out there embracing good music. (The singles charts these days make me want to give up. The internet "should" have made music more diverse, but counter - intuitively, it's actually made it more homogenous. For example; Ed Sheeran - EIGHT songs in the UK top ten, FFFS! HOW?? Plus despite the advances in technology, every female voice in commercial fodder is put through EXACTLY the same filter). OK, rant over; I shall try to lay off the drink next time! Meanwhile, I like BBC Radio 6 (except for the DJs yapping, which happens too much everywhere, as talk is very cheap). Over to you...

Return to “Other Bands”