Best 90's album

Anything about other bands/music/artists
Everydayslikesunday

Best 90's album

Postby Everydayslikesunday » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:22 pm

I read recently the Radiohead's album Ok Computer is considered by some to be the best album of the 90's. Whilst it is not a bad album, I would argue these are the best three albums from that decade:

Dog Man Star - Suede
Your Arsenal - Morrissey
Automatic For The People - R.E.M

Please feel free to disagree, this forum could do with a good debate!
Like skeletons ever so pretty
buttercup

Re: Best 90's album

Postby buttercup » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:35 am

REM are awesome! I really like them. They are actually on of the very few US bands I like. I mostly like British Music from different decades.
Inspite of being half American, I've never actually lived there so was never exposed to that culture and got more European?
I have not listened to any Smiths or Morrissey (shame on me, I know!) I never got appealed by his voice.
Image Image

Buttercup - The Infernal Flower From The Holy Land
Jayyj

Postby Jayyj » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:27 am

Difficult question! In no particular order, and omitting Suede/BB as being a given, this is the shortest I can bear to submit.
Many more I love, these are just the ones I couldn't be without...

Sparklehorse -Vivadixiesubmarinetrsnsmissionplot
Radiohead - OK Computer
Belly - Star
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Manics - Holy Bible
Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
Goldie - Timeless
David Bowie - 1. Outside
Maria McKee - Life Is Sweet
Dubstar - Disgraceful
Asian Dub Foundation - Buzzing
Pulp - His & Hers
Spiritualized - Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
Black Box Recorder - England Made Me
Portishead - Portishead
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
Drugstore - Drugstore
bunny

Postby bunny » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:44 am

Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
------------------------------------------------------------
round the bend

Postby round the bend » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:18 am

Even though I own this album (I might flog it soon though :P) I just don't get the hype around Ok computer. It's so terribly over-rated, like Pink Floyd really. And the overall mood and disposition this album carries really irks me - music shouldn't be about bemoaning fucking microwaves, mundane anxieties and alarm clocks - fuck right off. It's just a colossal whine. Though the actual music is mostly good, it does go a bit math here and there (not to mention their later over-technical dross).

Anyway, on topic :) Leaving out Suede, Dog Man Star and Coming Up, I could whittle it down so:

Happy Mondays Pills 'n' Thrills And Bellyaches
The La's - The La's
Ride - Nowhere
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Spacemen 3 - Recurring
Catherine Wheel - Ferment
Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies

The Charlatans Between - 10th And 11th
The Jesus And Mary Chain - Honey's Dead
Auteurs - New Wave
The Fall - The Infotainment Scan
Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish
Cast - All Change
Pulp - Different Class
The Verve - A Northern Soul
Supergrass - I Should Coco
Primal Scream - Vanishing Point
Supergrass - In It For The Money

...that block in italics would probably be the stand-outs, all came out around the same time. If push comes to shove, I have to pick one of these, then perhaps Lazer Guided Melodies. After Dog Man Star and Suede of course 8-)
he puts his faith in the moment.. outsiders
Jayyj

Postby Jayyj » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:46 pm

Bugger, I missed off Loveless, Deserters Songs and In It For The Money, and there should have been a Primal Scream album in there... I knew this would happen!

I stand by OK Computer - I think it lives up to the hype. I like most of what they've done since as well but OK Computer and the live show they were doing around that time were a definite high point of mid 90s music for me. Oh well, it'd be boring if we agreed on everything.

A Northern Soul, there's an album I've not heard in 20 years. That'll be tomorrow's listening sorted then.
round the bend

Postby round the bend » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:47 am

Jayyj wrote:A Northern Soul, there's an album I've not heard in 20 years. That'll be tomorrow's listening sorted then.

It's a huge, huge album. In my teens I used to regard Storm In Heaven as Verve's best, but this I reckon now to be their greatest. A lot of the early Verve magic was rather on the singles and the Verve EP - very much recommended.
Jayyj

Postby Jayyj » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:17 pm

I've given it a couple of plays this week, it's a really good album. I think my problem with the Verve is they were brilliant as a psych rock band but there was a bit of a disconnect between the psychedelic stuff and the string laden ballads that sounded a bit too much like Noel Gallagher's hand me downs. When Spiritualized started doing the ballad thing they always fitted really well into the albums, however different they were to the original sound of the band it worked perfectly - with the Verve I wish they'd just stuck with the psych and saved the ballads for an Ashcroft solo album.

Listening to ANS, I actually really like History although I don't think it fits the album very well (is McCabe even on it?), it was Lucky Man and Sonnet that grated on me to the extent they put me off the band altogether. Hard to believe they came from the same band as most of ANS.

I saw them live touring ANS, and they were awesome. Must have been one of the first gigs I went to.
round the bend

Postby round the bend » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Funny, I've never seen them as a 'psych' band at all. Maybe that's why I always held them as something special (the early days), as they really were in their own space. Not shoegaze either. Space rock or something like that? Ok, fuck classification at this point, but there was a magic of their own there.
If History wouldn't fit, so wouldn't On Your Own. Dunno, I don't mind, though I see where you're coming from. History could've been an excellent off-album single, like Stay Together.
TheSea&Tortoise

Postby TheSea&Tortoise » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:21 am

In no order.
Pet Shop Boys-Behaviour
Pulp-His and Hers
Tortoise-TNT
The Sea & Cake-Nassau
Suede-Suede
The Verve-History
Smashing Pumpkins-A toss up between Gish & Siamese Dream